Sunday 19 October 2008

At last something done

I have been under the weather a little just lately, I think you would call it 'crafter's block', a frustrating, niggling head block, that keeps you awake at night, makes you feel ill tempered with yourself, totally discontented. Well, at last, today, I managed to shake it off and just got on with it!
So odd that once you have overcome that frustrating thing of where you have an idea .,,,,,, and it does'nt work, so you start another idea and that does'nt work and just when you think 'oh sod it'..............'it' happens and away you go, or is it just me?????

So the first item I have to show you is a collage, which I have entitled 'shadow of a memory'. I chose the photo because of the shadow, it seemed to speak to me from the past. In a nice way, of course. Really enjoyed adding lots of snippets of this and that and it is so lovely to finish with the hearts and buttons, that catch the light and lift it.





I also made three brooches/corsages, which I really enjoyed making, particularly because of the muslin. I have only recently started to use muslin and absolutely adore it's qualities.



I think the thing that has been bugging me just of late, is that I wanted to make some greetings cards, for birthdays and Christmas. I am hopefully doing a Fair in a month or so and need to make cards for that and also for the local Gallery.
I wanted to make a vintage ephemera type card, something that has an aged look. I used the pages from an 1982 Ledger, Tana Lawn from a company from London , you may have heard of them...Liberty? ;-) I typed the wording onto linen and added the whole shaboodle together with, guess what, a button! Well that makes a change!




Thank goodness for that, I have some energy flowing again. Self indulgent post this has been ...all about me, me, me!
Have a good week and thanks for stopping by.x


20 comments:

Gina said...

Everything beautiful as ever but I do rather like those cards!

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Yes I love the cards too.
I left info on my comments Viv.x

Unknown said...

What beautiful cards! I love the idea of typing onto fabric, just fabulous...

Jackie said...

The shadow in the photo is vey moving isn't it> It seems more alive han the subject. And the cards are lovely. You should do well with them.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean - I am in the part of the block before it start to flow again. sigh. the cards (and everything else, but especially the cards) are great.

x vInTaGe VioLeT x said...

lovely stuff as usual.

love that pink flower button on your first corsage - i have a load of those in minty green but never seen pink before.

unfortunately i'm in a crafters block place right now :0(

Raggy Rat said...

love that collage envelope and photo - im thinking of you cant source one from 1948 then perhaps i can get one of my fathers together? plus and pick , then with love scraps and buttons, go to town ? i want to release some 'stuff' i keep, and instaed celebrate him with art - yours !

Gigibird said...

Love everything today Viv.
I think having a block is good because when your 'flow' returns it is always accompanied with a huge dollop of energy.
And of course it's perfectly normal so don't beat yourself up too much.

gunnelsvensson said...

Congrats to you flow, again! You know you always came back ?!
Your collage are wonderful, and te card are so beutiful!

sue bulmer said...

i know what you mean about the block thing, and getting yer knickers in a twist with yourself! I was in theat very place about a month ago and had to have a big blog break and holiday. It has done me some good,(although I have prob lost any readers I did have!!!) and I hope to be back on form soon. It's strange though isn't it, the stress we put ourselves under? It's times like that we need to just go with the flow and it will come in the end. but I always find this advice much easier to dole out than to actually do myself!!!
Lovely work though, very gorgeous!

Pippa said...

Wonderful new piece of work! And those cards are beautiful! Lovely :o)

prettywithribbons said...

ooh ooh oooh I love these!!!

'fancypicnic' said...

Look what happens when you get a bit of a 'block' going on..! Wonderful stuff, all of it, Viv - and I'm with everyone else...love those cards!

pasiakowa said...

I just love the way you combine stiching with paper - you make something so unique and magical that I had to leave the comment ;)

ArtPropelled said...

I always enjoy looking at your latest creations. Love the cards!
As Gigi says, after a block ideas usually pour in. I'm going through such a phase now. So many ideas I feel a bit overwhelmed. When I do experience a block I get very skittish and bad tempered too.

Anonymous said...

viv,

i love the corsages....i think i have a weakness for muslin... and worn velvet....

oh, many weaknesses...

meleen

Victoria said...

I really like those brooches! And I am with you on that creative lull... I have been dragging my heels on the same small piece for over a week now, and feel like I have lost my mo-jo and creative spark. I know it will pass, as all blocks do, but what a drag!

Lorie McCown said...

Oh man oh man what a super idea, don't you love it, once those creative juices get flowing again? I adore your cards, the typing is a perfect touch, old fashion and nostalgic.. Liberty, oh heck yeah!

Anonymous said...

those corsages are AMAZING!

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

I actually think your post may be about us, us, us! Who doesn't feel blocked that way from time to time - or often - and when you give up (or relax??) something good happens...